Friday, July 20, 2007

Partisan?

the more, the merrier... according to Jay...
(I can't seem to stay off his toes so I'm going to take a good long break...)

Jay,

I think what he really meant to ask was do you expect your project in general (and the individual bits and pieces of it) to be "partisan"? Not in the crudest form (you are saying that "wouldn't make the cut") but...if you are telling people ... hey! don't even bother trying to be objective (that's not something we care about), it's hard to see how you could avoid that outcome...

Delia

P.S. Since you don't appear to want to address this issue at all in the context of your project, will readers be expected to just read between the lines and figure out who's pitching for what team and how much weight if any they should give to what they are saying? D.
(http://journalism.nyu.edu/pubzone/weblogs/pressthink/2007/07/20/az_otb.html#comment48746)

Jay,

I don't know what your problem is, again... Why are you so touchy? (I seems like I can't say anything without setting you off...)

I should be able to point out things I see problems with and get a relaxed answer -- whether I'm right or wrong... And I don't think I'm wrong on this one.

Yes, you did say those things but what does that really mean when it comes down to the quality of the product and what people will be reading and be able to get out of it?

The one thing that made sense out of your rant was :"As to whether contributors will be discouraged from presenting their account in an 'objective' manner" --> of course they will be! if you aren't even asking them to at least *attempt* to be objective... (you are telling them it's fine either way...)

And don't forget what your project is about: an election! If you are so naive not to realize that even under the best intentions most people would find it extremely difficult to be objective, keep dreaming... Or maybe you just don't give a hoot... I don't know...

Either way, good luck with your project and with a couple of others! (I've had enough for a good long while)

Delia
(http://journalism.nyu.edu/pubzone/weblogs/pressthink/2007/07/20/az_otb.html#comment48750)

No comments: